About Me

My photo
Washington , United States
I officially became a "Baker" on October 10, 1987. When my husband and I were engaged we joked that he was Baker and I was Asst. Baker (we even had sweatshirts made) During the 23 years that I was raising children, it didn't leave much time for baking, but I have always enjoyed it when I do find the time. My love of making cheesecakes and a friend posting a cake he really wanted started me on my Bake(r)ing journey about 3 years ago. Life is still crazy busy, but I find that baking brings such joy that it also brings peace & calm to a busy life, and heck...who doesn't love a good cheesecake?

Sunday, November 18, 2012

War Cake


My friend Margaret has been on the search for THE perfect chocolate cake.  It got me thinking about cakes I have made in the past and I think I quite possibly have the best chocolate cake recipe already.

Again, this recipe comes from the five years we lived in Alturas, California.  It was given to me by my friend Lori.  I had never heard of a War Cake before, although I had never really had a reason to think about it.  The cake recipe itself uses no eggs, butter, or milk and originates from the WWII era when those items were rationed, hence the name: War Cake

This cake is so quick and easy and only uses one bowl.  I don’t even use a mixer.   You will want to just stir it gently by hand until all ingredients are well blended, as over-beating can make it a bit “tough”.

Incredibly rich and moist and sure to satisfy even the most intense chocolate craving. Make sure you have a big glass of milk standing by!

And this close to Thanksgiving, I am ever thankful that today we don’t have to worry about food rations.

 ~Enjoy!

War Cake

1 ½ C. flour
1 C. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
3 Tbs. cocoa

Stir dry ingredients together.

Add:  6 Tbs. oil
         1 tsp. vanilla
         1 Tbs. vinegar
1 C. water

Add liquid ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients all at once and mix by hand just until blended.

Bake in a greased 8x8” pan at 350 for 35 minutes. 

This recipe easily doubles; bake in a 9x11” pan if doubling.

Frosting:  (if you wish)
½ C. butter- soft
2 C. powdered sugar          
2 Tbs. cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla
4 Tbs. ½ & ½ 







No comments:

Post a Comment